[LAU] [OT] Farming Implements and bad puns (was Re: Wired... wires confused!)

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 18 2010 - 19:49:29 EEST

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 5:55 PM, <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Using farming machinery (*tractor) would even be more
>> difficult to justify...
>
> i note that some 15-20 years ago, i was quite a rabid reader of the
> agricultural movement that decried the use of the plough, an attitude
> that was even more rabid when it came to the tractor that pulls a
> plough. those guys would excoriate anyone who suggested using these
> tools; i, on the other hand, am quite happy to refer people towards
> rui's very nice device.

When I was in college, an elder gentleman said:

In the 1960's they invented the Simpson reaper, and it was
adopted very quicly without any question.

Meanwhile in the 1960's, they developed localized anesthesia
for use in childbirth. However, this got mired in
controversy over whether or not it was "ethical" to allow
women to opt-out of God's curse that a woman should have
increased labor pains.

-gabriel

p.s. for those who aren't bible scholars, in Genesis 3 God
curses women with "greatly increased pains in childbearing"
(Ge 3:16), but men were cursed: "By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food until you return to the ground...."