Re: [LAU] Room and Sound Calibration With Linux

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 23:57:09 EEST

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 02:30:24PM +0200, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:

> 1: How do one measure and flattern out the room'm and monitor's
> frequency curve with Linux. Do one use pink noise or a sinus
> sweep or perhaps both? I have two mikes which is probably good
> enough for this, but how do I do it and which SW?
>
> 2: How do I emulate "the perfect" studio and other situations with
> the help of Jconv?

There are two approaches:

1. Use pink noise and an equaliser to correct any errors in frequency
response.

2. Use impulse response measurements and convolution to correct both
frequency and 'time' response.

For both you need an omnidirectional measurement microphone.
The cheap Behringer or anything similar will do.

For the first solution, use JAPA to measure (using the 'proportional'
display setting), and some equaliser to do the correction. I would
*not* use a 1/3 octave setfor this but an EQ such as the one you've
been testing. The target is *not* a flat frequency response, but one
that doesn't try to make your speakers do what they can't do, and in
any case one that drops off gently above around 2 kHz to somehting
between -6 and -12 dB at 20 kHz. How much depends or your taste.

For the second approach DRC + jconvolver is the way to go. DRC has
excellent documentation, make sure to read all of it before you try
anything.

Ciao,

--
FA