[LAU] Room and Sound Calibration With Linux

From: Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 15:30:24 EEST

Hi LAU friends!

I've almost finished (bass traps and other acoustic treatment remains)
building my little home studio and of course: every software is all Linux. The
rooms small size (3.00m x 3.40m = 10.2 mē) makes it lesser than ideal when it
comes to acoustics but the room's sound is great so I don't really worry to
much about it under the circumstances.

When I'm done with bass traps and foam materials, then it's time for the final
corrections as far as it goes. I do have a full two channel 1/3 octave EQ
(Phonics PEQ 3600 2 x 31) that can do very much, how can Linux help me to do
the right sound here?

Ken Restivo used Jconv when mixing and emulating different rooms and
situations. And it sounds to me as a very good solution and leaves two
questions:

1: How do one measure and flattern out the room'm and monitor's
   frequency curve with Linux. Do one use pink noise or a sinus
   sweep or perhaps both? I have two mikes which is probably good
   enough for this, but how do I do it and which SW?

2: How do I emulate "the perfect" studio and other situations with
   the help of Jconv?

I'm not surprised if it all ends up with Fons only solutions here, but can
someone with experience with this help me getting thru this in some not to
difficult steps? I hope I have describes what I want in an understandable way.

Thanks, Jostein