Re: [LAU] Room and Sound Calibration With Linux

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 18:17:49 EEST

Hi,

On Friday 23 July 2010 14:30:24 Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> I've almost finished (bass traps and other acoustic treatment remains)
> building my little home studio and of course: every software is all Linux.
> The rooms small size (3.00m x 3.40m = 10.2 mē) makes it lesser than ideal
> when it comes to acoustics but the room's sound is great so I don't really
> worry to much about it under the circumstances.
>
> When I'm done with bass traps and foam materials, then it's time for the
> final corrections as far as it goes. I do have a full two channel 1/3
> octave EQ (Phonics PEQ 3600 2 x 31) that can do very much, how can Linux
> help me to do the right sound here?

Help one: japa
Its a frequency analyzer and can output white and pink noise. It can help you
set your EQ correctly.

But eq'ing isn't all:

> Ken Restivo used Jconv when mixing and emulating different rooms and
> situations. And it sounds to me as a very good solution and leaves two
> questions:
>
> 1: How do one measure and flattern out the room'm and monitor's
> frequency curve with Linux. Do one use pink noise or a sinus
> sweep or perhaps both? I have two mikes which is probably good
> enough for this, but how do I do it and which SW?

To really flatten and optimize the room-response electronically you will have
to record the impulse response of your room (for each speaker) and use drc to
compute a correction function in time and frequency domain. Then you can use
that pulses with jconvolver to get a better room. I do that at my home and its
really great, even though my speakers already where great.
Here is a catch: with digital room correction you will have to undo some of
your room optimizations. But the details are in the very good drc-manual.

> 2: How do I emulate "the perfect" studio and other situations with
> the help of Jconv?

Once your room is optimized, you can use any additional impulse response to
put your room into another acoustical environment...

Have fun,

Arnold