Re: [LAU] Nouveau driver on audio systems

From: Tim Blechmann <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 06 2010 - 01:57:21 EEST

> On some systems 'nouveau' seems to work really well, on some
> others it produced lots of xruns (using a moderate jack period
> size of 256) which went away when I replaced 'nouveau' by the
> older 'nv'. I did not try the proprietary driver from Nvidia,
> AFAIK it has latency problems as well.

while i heard rumors about latency problems of the proprietary nvidia
driver, i did not experience any latency issues. when i did some histograms
for the multicore signal processing engine of supernova on my nehalem
workstation, i was measuring a maximum jitter of about 10 microseconds.
unless you don't want to use the proprietary nvidia driver for political
reasons, it is fine to run it for low-latency applications ... but testing
it is probably better than relying on personal opinions ...

tim

--
tim@email-addr-hidden
http://tim.klingt.org