Re: [LAU] Nouveau driver on audio systems

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 06 2010 - 02:05:56 EEST

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Tim Blechmann <tim@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> On some systems 'nouveau' seems to work really well, on some
>> others it produced lots of xruns (using a moderate jack period
>> size of 256) which went away when I replaced 'nouveau' by the
>> older 'nv'. I did not try the proprietary driver from Nvidia,
>> AFAIK it has latency problems as well.
>
> while i heard rumors about latency problems of the proprietary nvidia
> driver, i did not experience any latency issues. when i did some histograms
> for the multicore signal processing engine of supernova on my nehalem
> workstation, i was measuring a maximum jitter of about 10 microseconds.
> unless you don't want to use the proprietary nvidia driver for political
> reasons, it is fine to run it for low-latency applications ... but testing
> it is probably better than relying on personal opinions ...

I use the proprietary NVidia drivers on Ubuntu Studio... very few, if
any, problems with latency or xruns here, and I am recording and
mixing just about every day on this system (including sequencing with
samples on a separate machine and syncing to previously recorded
material). However, I am using RME Multiface II and have disabled the
internal audio hardware, so YMMV depending on hardware and software
combination.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.electricminstrel.com