Re: [LAU] Guitar rock made with Ardour and Hydrogen

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 16:21:54 EEST

Hello Roberto!
   Thanks for sharing your music. It's much better than my first recordings in
the way of sound and mix.
   For what it's worth here's my penny: I think it might have been better to
pan the bass (if there was one) and basic distorted rhythm guitar to the
center and then panned the solo guitars to the sites. Not too hard though. You
might have taken the clena rhythm guitar, which was introduced later, and
panned it harder to one side. That way you would have a nice,simple stereo
spread of the instruments. With the deep, distorted rhythm guitar to the left,
the piece somehow sounds of balance in my ears.
   As to EQing: I'm not too bright with that myself. But if there is a bass,
you may reduce gain in the low region of the rhythm guitar. If there is no
bass, keep it as it is, it certain has power! The solo guitars sound OK to me.
there' always something you might try to change the sound with EQs, but
nothing wrong there.
   the drums though. I don't know the kit you've used, I suppose it's one of
the free hydrogen kits, that you can download. I'd reduce bass in the bass
drum, perhaps use compression to make it sound shorter and get a little more
kick out of it. The cymbals sound a bit over emphasised in the mid range.
Don't know maybe 400-600Hz, somewhere in between there. Maybe a little below
that. I always found, that emphasising the high end of the cymals and hihats
is more becoming. They don't sound so tinny then.
   The snare might also be better with a little less emphasis on the mid range,
but only slightly. There too some more high end gain might be nice. Also the
snare is quite sensitive to compression. You can use a compressor to change
and mould your snare sound to your liking.
   For a rock song I'm still quite partial to the rhythm guitar. It sounds mean
and dirty, almost metal. Lovely!
   Thanks again. I'm sure you'll get more on this and much better help than my
few vague thoughts.
   Kindly yours
           Julien

--------