Re: [LAU] Subconscious Affecting Music

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 26 2010 - 08:28:36 EEST

On Wed, August 25, 2010 5:16 am, James Warden wrote:

>> Can subconscious intelligence enhancing music actually be
>> made or are we
>> limited to the primitive senses of sexual reproduction and
>> aggression for
>> mass market appeal?
>>

> Patrick, I do not understand this sentence of yours.
>
> Sexual reproduction is not a primitive sense, neither is "aggression", and
> the "goal" of sexual reprod. and aggressive behavior is not mass market
> appeal as you seem to suggest here.
>
> When all this is said, mass markets are a given of our industrial
> societies. So of course, any marketable activity can lead to de facto
> industry standards or trends. Some ppl are easily appealed by those, some
> are not. But I don't see why we should label our basic biology or
> behaviors as primitive and link it to mass appeal. Could you elaborate ?

Well IMO all modern club music is designed to make people feel either
aggressive or sexual or both. It seems that there are tow probably reasons
for this.

1: The majority want to feel this way and respond best to music that
provides this stimulous

2: The people making the music have found it is the best way to get a lot
of people addicted to the sound and therefore spend more money at
environments where that is provided.

There is a third option that I entertain which is that the music and media
industry is callously abusing this aspect of the human subconscious in
order to keep people stupid, aggressive and or sexually distracted.

Given that the majority of popular club music uses this compositional
technique I wonder if it is simply a foregone conclusion that we humans
are destined to be controlled in this way by the creators of the popular
music or if we music creators are actually able to transcend this period
of production values and make music with mass market appeal that
influences the subconscious to be more intelligent.

Like I said my goals are purely subversive in this regard.

If we can make people feel sexual or aggressive with our music which I
think has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt as entirely possible with
current technology then can we not make people become more intelligent,
tolerant, open minded, compassionate, altruistic or in fact have any other
in the entire spectrum of emotional response/s too?

Depression is another emotion which has been a target for a long period
but I don't hear it being preyed upon as much in the past decade. It seems
to me that the clear majority of currently popular music is attempting to
influence peoples sexual or aggressive response mechanisms.

There are some attempts in popular music at getting inside peoples heads
that I have been considering recently but IMO they all fall short of the
goal due to the vagary of the lyrics and the distraction of the
composition. Whereas the popular music being released these days is almost
exclusively hitting its target of sex/aggression or both. I wonder if we
are able to turn the technique on itself...

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.