Re: [LAU] Subconscious Affecting Music

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 26 2010 - 10:24:26 EEST

On Wed, August 25, 2010 11:51 pm, Louigi Verona wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Patrick Shirkey <
> pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, August 25, 2010 11:42 pm, Louigi Verona wrote:
>> > I generally agree with you Patrick.
>> >
>> > I believe that aggressive and sexual responses are too basic and this
>> is
>> > why
>> > it is so easy to trigger them. However, I also believe that humans are
>> > much
>> > more than just animals and:
>> >
>> > 1. With time these responses dull out. Even overall you can see people
>> > getting tired of all those commercial tricks and stopping to respond.
>> > 2. The more delicate response to higher level of art is less evident,
>> but
>> > influences people on long term more.
>> >
>> > In general, I am optimistic. No matter how you try to spoil people,
>> sooner
>> > or later something inside us kicks back in and does not allow to make
>> the
>> > damage permanent.
>> >

>> In this case the response mechanism might be growing up, having kids and
>> not being able to go out to clubs anymore?
>>
>> Still I'm interested to find a way to subvert this compositional
>> technique
>> if it is possible.
>>

>> --
>> Patrick Shirkey
>> Boost Hardware Ltd.
>>

> It's not the compositional technique - it's the context. If you listen to
> dub ambient, like Saafi Brothers,
> you will see that same techniques give an absolutely different impression.
> The context of the project
> is different. House drums can give a very different feel when used
> differently.

I'm not sure we are discussing the same music. The stuff I am talking
about has a very clearly defined structure and methodology to the
composition and the sound scape. It is not translatable to dub ambien or
even house. The best I can describe it genre wise is Club remixes of
modern pop.

I'm pretty sure Timberland discovered the technique and since he had his
string of hits in 2007/8 almost every new track that has been remixed or
made for the club sound. I'm not talking about house or trance or tech or
dnb. This is a completely seperate genre of music and in most of the world
is the most popular form of club music these days.

Alot of it seems to be derived partially from hip hop influenced beats and
definitely the hip hop producers have been pumping out the club tracks
using this technique over the past 2 years.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.