Re: [LAU] pidim: midi filters collection

From: Philipp Ãœberbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 26 2010 - 14:02:21 EEST

Excerpts from Benoît Rouits's message of 2010-08-26 11:54:05 +0200:
> Hello,
> It has been a long time i havent posted on LAU.
> Making a bit of advetising, I think some of you may
> like Pidim, a recent project i am workgin on.
> It is a collection of MIDI event filters and
> generators based on ALSA and Gtk+ (and it's GPLv2).
>
> Currently, it has a transposer, a 2 kind of routers
> and an arpeggiator. I would be glad if you send
> bugreports translations, improvements or new filter ideas.
> It integrates very well with an alsa/jack patchbay such as
> Patchage.
>
> You can checkout http://herewe.servebeer.com/pidim/
> and the source is on http://herewe.servebeer.com/svn/pidim
>
> To build the binaries, have the GNU development tools, and run
> autogen.sh; make..
>
> Thanks for testing, and happy music!
> -- Benoît

Hi,
looks like handy tools :)

One feature request that comes to my mind immediately: jack midi

I have one filter idea, but I'm not sure it's even possible.
My e-piano is a bit stupid in the sense that it provides only three
velocity curves. Would it be possible to 'fake' more velocity curves
using a midi filter?

Another filter idea might be configurable randomization of all events.
Like, randomize volume +/- 3.

One thing to note that you might be duplicating things already
available, for example in midish (http://caoua.org/midish/). I don't
think midish has a GUI though.

Now to the bug section:
I noticed that it apparently doesn't use DATAROOTDIR for DOCDIR.
It installs to /usr/doc/pidim/README by default and even when I configure with
--datarootdir=/usr/share or --docdir=/usr/share/doc/pidim.

The file README contains apparently old information.

The source files don't contain license information. The COPYING file you
ship is GPL3.

Please tell me when the docdir thing is fixed, I'll install and try it
then.

Regards,

--
Philipp