Re: [LAU] irq sharing

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 26 2010 - 17:26:42 EEST

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:08 AM, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> David Santamauro wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 12:46:06 -0700
>> Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>>> If you think it's a interrupt-sharing issue, consider using a
>>> pcie-to-pci riser to plug in your card. Apparently, this way of doing
>>> things may ensure less bus contention:
>>>
>>> http://old.nabble.com/does-a-pci-e-x1-to-pci-adapter-work-with-Linux-soundcards-and-existing-drivers--td29444687.html
>>>
>>> Also, be sure that interrupt contention is really the problem. If
>>> it's a constant noise, there's a better chance that it's a different
>>> problem. One issue is that your recording software may not be using
>>> the same bit depth, alignment, or complement as what the card
>>> expects. I can get this effect on output, for example, simply by
>>> using 'mplayer'
>>
>> interesting angle ...
>> envy24control (and the new mudita24) register this noise on input
>> whether devices are plugged in or not. So the noise is clearly coming
>> from either the delta breakout, card or driver. I've ruled out the
>> breakout box and card simply by the fact that the noise doesn't exist
>> on the same hardware with windows7 drivers.
>
> Or the Windows drivers are doing something that removes the noise?
>
> I have a friend who has a Delta 1010LT in his WindowsXP-based audio
> workstation. He's never said anything about input noise.

That would imply that everyone using a 1010LT in Linux would
experience the same noise, correct?

If I understand, you are saying that the card, with nothing plugged
into it, shows noise coming out of the card? If so it sounds like a
bad card.

If he's local can you ask your Windows friend to plug your card into
his system for testing and see if it's noisy or not? Good weekend
project if he's game.

- Mark