Re: [LAU] irq sharing

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 26 2010 - 22:45:05 EEST

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:08 AM, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> David Santamauro wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> interesting angle ...
>>> envy24control (and the new mudita24) register this noise on input
>>> whether devices are plugged in or not. So the noise is clearly coming
>>> from either the delta breakout, card or driver. I've ruled out the
>>> breakout box and card simply by the fact that the noise doesn't exist
>>> on the same hardware with windows7 drivers.
>> Or the Windows drivers are doing something that removes the noise?
>>
>> I have a friend who has a Delta 1010LT in his WindowsXP-based audio
>> workstation. He's never said anything about input noise.
>>

> That would imply that everyone using a 1010LT in Linux would
> experience the same noise, correct?
>
> If I understand, you are saying that the card, with nothing plugged
> into it, shows noise coming out of the card? If so it sounds like a
> bad card.

Oh, I'm not the original poster. Although that could be something the
original poster might try. IIRC, he mentioned that the noise isn't there
under Windows7 or 32-bit Linux. Only 64-bit Linux.

> If he's local can you ask your Windows friend to plug your card into
> his system for testing and see if it's noisy or not? Good weekend
> project if he's game.

That's worth checking.

Another a idea for original poster: Boot your existing hardware from a
live Linux audio distro such as Ubuntu Studio or Musix or ArtistX or
some such, and see if the noise exists. Just in case it's some obscure
setting somewhere?

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden