Re: [LAU] Inquiry regarding midi-filters

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 26 2010 - 22:46:17 EEST

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:23:14 +0200
Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I do have a question for all the midi-freaks:
>
> I have a korg nanokontrol and would like to use it to control a mixer
> (behringer ddx, not my own). For faders this works quite well, for the mute-
> buttons I am stumped:
> The ddx wants ctrl 104 with the channel as value to mute and ctrl 105 with the
> channel to unmute.
> The nanokontrol can only send one controller with two different values per
> button.
>
> So I thought about making the nanokontrol send the channel as controller and
> 104 as value for mute 105 for unmute. And then use a midifilter to switch ctrl-
> number and value before sending it to the ddx.
>
> And this is where the fun begins.
>
> midish is not able to do that (at least I couldn't make it work during one
> evening).
> qmidiroute is not able to do that (at least I couldn't make it work during one
> evening).
> puredata is not able to do this. While it is easy to connect ctlin with ctlout
> and switch ctrl and value, it sometimes uses the value from the event before
> and I couldn't get that to work either... (If some pd crack can give me a
> hint, I am very open to that, the problem seems to be that the events are
> passed/handled in the wrong order.)
>
> Is there any other easy midi-router / -filter that even thinks about these use
> cases? (Note: I didn't yet try pidim...)
>
> Thanks for your answers,
>
> Arnold

If I understand you right, this comes down to a MIDI 'translator' that
can identify a specific command and exchange it for a specific
alternative. This would seem in theory (haha) to simply require a pair
of linked editable look-up tables.

I would *very* much like to see this, and don't have a clue how to
implement it myself :(

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk