Re: [LAU] Inquiry regarding midi-filters

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 27 2010 - 00:34:57 EEST

On Thursday 26 August 2010 22:37:05 BenoƮt Rouits wrote:
> Le jeudi 26 aoƻt 2010 Ơ 21:23 +0200, Arnold Krille a Ʃcrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I do have a question for all the midi-freaks:
> >
> > I have a korg nanokontrol and would like to use it to control a mixer
> > (behringer ddx, not my own). For faders this works quite well, for the
> > mute- buttons I am stumped:
> > The ddx wants ctrl 104 with the channel as value to mute and ctrl 105
> > with the channel to unmute.
> > The nanokontrol can only send one controller with two different values
> > per button.
> >
> > So I thought about making the nanokontrol send the channel as controller
> > and 104 as value for mute 105 for unmute. And then use a midifilter to
> > switch ctrl- number and value before sending it to the ddx.
> >
> > And this is where the fun begins.
> >
> > midish is not able to do that (at least I couldn't make it work during
> > one evening).
> > qmidiroute is not able to do that (at least I couldn't make it work
> > during one evening).
> > puredata is not able to do this. While it is easy to connect ctlin with
> > ctlout and switch ctrl and value, it sometimes uses the value from the
> > event before and I couldn't get that to work either... (If some pd crack
> > can give me a hint, I am very open to that, the problem seems to be that
> > the events are passed/handled in the wrong order.)
> >
> > Is there any other easy midi-router / -filter that even thinks about
> > these use cases? (Note: I didn't yet try pidim...)
> >
> > Thanks for your answers,
> >
> > Arnold
>
> If the matter is to swap a controller parameter with its value,
> i can luckily code that now. Would the process be:
>
> if (event_type == CONTROLLER) {
> if (event_channel == channel_to_work_on) {
> if (event_param == controller_to_work_on) {
> swap = event_value;
> event_value = event_param;
> event_param = swap;
> }
> }
> }

Yes. And in which app/frame-work do I program that?

Note that I am very capable of writing the code myself, it just surprises me
that many "flexible" midi-routers exist but none can fulfill these simple(?)
task. Or in the case of pd can't fulfill it reliably.

I didn't think this task would require me to write my own midi-router. (Which
I would probably name "yet another flexible midi router that is actually
flexible" or yafmrtiaf.)

Have fun,

Arnold