Re: [LAU] Really good Jack mixer?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 27 2010 - 06:43:35 EEST

On Thu, August 26, 2010 11:07 am, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 1:57 AM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, August 25, 2010 9:37 pm, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
>>>  Anyone have software that can be used as a really good live Jack
>>> mixer?  I'd love to see the usual controls on every channel, i.e., a
>>> virtualization of a real P.A. mixer, with user-selectable channel count
>>> :-)  Has such a thing been made which works well ???
>>>

>> Well you have ardour's mixer but that comes with the editor too.
>
> Trivially hide-able. Just go to Windows->Editor and click. Presto - no
> editor any more. Alt-e brings it back any time you need it.

That's an important point. Personally I appreciate the flexibility of
having the editor already connected and taking part in the flow of events
by default.

On a similar note I am wondering what would be the potential issue with
enabling volume control on a per route basis directly in jack.

Similar to how PA handles volume control per app but in jacks case it
would be per route. I can think of a handy tool that would allow managing
volume control on all routes or built into qjackctl or even the window
manager or stand alone like gnome-vu-control.

The current system requires that the user connect the route to a mixer app
and the mixer app to the destination input if they want per route volume
control.

Another way to deal with this situation would be to make all connections
pass through the mixer app by default. This could be handled automagically
in qjackctl but I like the potential flexibility of per route volume
control directly in jack.

Just wondering if this has been discussed before? I can't recall.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.