Re: [LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 30 2010 - 17:58:04 EEST

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Patrick Shirkey
<pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I see is that recently there has been a wholesale assault on society by
> producers using a specific version of the technique that is easily
> absorbed by susceptible minds. For the rest of us we are expected to
> endure the punishment of being immersed in this abusive mind fuck whenever
> we step out into a public space again breaking us down and subduing us to
> conform to the goals they want to promote as acceptable behaviour.

Patrick, I have no idea what has got you so worked up about this. It
sounds to me as though you need to find some new clubs to hang out in.
I can't recall the last time I was in "a public space" and forced to
listen to this mystical "compositional technique" that you're
referring to. My kids and their friends don't listen to it, or go to
clubs that play it, either in LA or here in Philadelphia. I've been in
plenty of bars/restaurants/lounges over the last couple of years that
play Thievery Corporation much more than they ever play anything that
fits the description you've been offering us. That was true in
Barcelona, in Berlin, in Philadelphia, London and New York. I'm not
even sure what fraction of any age group actually goes the kind of
club you're talking about, although certainly its not zero.