Re: [LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 02 2010 - 09:40:26 EEST

Louigi Verona wrote:
> To me the trademark of the XX century art is money. Instead of thinking
> about saying important things, art became about selling. Excuse the very
> commonly brought up thought, but commercial art sucks. It kills the
> whole essence of what art is, the essence of spiritual expression and
> search. In fact, in minds of many people it is so dead already, that it
> is quite fine for an artist to withdraw his creations simply because he
> did not get money or fame or whatever he is trying to sell. I do not
> understand how a real artist can choose to withdraw his work from the
> public because he did not get enough money. And I predict many people
> would be ready to tell me the good old "you want artists to starve?".
> Just for the clarity - I don't. But commercial art is not art and those
> products are not worth anybody's attention. Even the best of them.

I think J. S. Bach and most of the classical composers would disagree
with you about that. As well as most musicians who still enjoy studying
and performing and listening to performances of such music. Similar for
most of the great painters and sculptors. The great classical oil
paintings were pretty much all commissioned pieces of commercial art, as
was "The Lady and the Unicorn" tapestry. But it is still one of the
great examples of tapestry art.

"Commercial art is not art" is a bit of something from the Romantic
movement that I think is completely wrong. "Art for art's sake". That is
often a cover for arrogance, egotism and elitism. "My art is so deep
that if you don't understand it, there's something wrong with you." That
is pure egotism. The Romantic period was a time when many artists
basically said, "I'm special, I'm God, it's all about ME, if you don't
agree with me, you're ignorant/stupid/bourgeois/worthless." Despite the
thousands of years of history worldwide where art was always part of
something (society, etc) rather than standing out in field trying to be
the one important thing.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden