Re: [LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 03 2010 - 07:59:40 EEST

Brent Busby wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, david wrote:
>
>> Louigi Verona wrote:
>>
>>> Real talent leads a person.
>>
>> The whole idea "real talent leads a person" is one of the fallacies
>> that came from the Romantic movement. As if the "artist" was some
>> special divine being, possessed by the spirit of the gods.
>
> No, I think there is some truth to that, that artistic inclination will
> drive someone. I tried to quit music for several years, because of a
> lot of the same reasons we've been talking about...the state of music in
> the 90's and 2000's. I came back to it for reasons I couldn't justify
> even to myself. I simply had to write songs. It didn't even matter if
> I could find reason to tell myself why.

But if you simply "had to write songs" at the expense of making a
living, ended up living on the streets, still making songs, I think it
would qualify quite well as some form of insanity. I understand OCD is
very popular now. ;-)

>> Also, some of the Romantics were insane (the reasons don't matter).
>> Back then, insanity was frequently not treated at all - the insane who
>> weren't a danger to others were left to wander their own lives ...
>
> That happens now in big cities too. I live in Chicago, and I once saw a
> man standing on a bus stop bench with a newspaper held up in one hand,
> screaming at traffic as it drove by. People mostly just ignored him. I
> don't know if he was an artist, but he was probably insane. :)

Yah, we have folk like that around Hawaii, too.

Society really doesn't care if you're insane, as long as you don't hurt
or bother anybody else!

> Still, it's probably better than the 50's when they used to use mental
> patients for drug experiments and give them shock treatments.

At least those patients were fed and treated for physical ailments, and
the motivations of many of the treatments was to cure. Easy for people
decades later to say those treatments were all wrong - but we have the
benefit of the results of those experiments demonstrating they were
ineffective. Hindsight's always 20-20, they say.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden