Re: [LAU] New Early Music made with Linux

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Fri Sep 03 2010 - 19:48:02 EEST

On 08/31/2010 09:49 PM, Giso Grimm wrote:
> A new Early Music CD has been produced using FLOSS on Linux, mainly Ardour:
>
> Sound out my voice - Italian madrigals and bastarda music for viol consort
>
> The CD is played by the viol [1] consort "ORLANDOviols". It is
> commercially available at http://www.orlandoviols.de/, and soon also via
> amazon (Europe at least). A non-commercial publishing is planned after a
> while.
>
> A video, more or less the making of the CD, is available on youtube:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUx_UIcht2Y
> The video is completely made with Blender on Linux.

impressive. loved the virtual sellotape on the recording room door :)

fun combination, early music and VR video...
at least the palestrina soundbite does not work, though. instead, your
provider throws up some really helpful advertisements.

i'd be very interested to see you guys live at some point.

as to the mixing, i can see how it makes sense for most consumers to
have a very present, in-your-face mix to listen to in your car while
returning from a live concert, but i find the sound a tad too "loud" and
close-miked given the material and instruments. but then i have a taste
with no commercial potential whatsoever...

next time you meet for a recording session, would you mind me crashing
the party with an ambisonic mike in the middle?

best,

jörn