Re: [LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 14:37:14 EEST

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 1:59 PM, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> The real interesting measure of perception/influence of music on thought
> might require use of functional MRI scanning, which can show the actual
> electrical activity in the brain.

Yes I forgot to mention brain-wave patterns. Ultimately any such
'objective-measure' may miss some more subtle influence. Its just that a
crude idea may be better than no idea.

> Coming back to Bach: If he was not interested in tunings he would not have
>> written the Well Tempered clavier.
>>
>> If he was interested in promoting equal temperament he would have called
>> it the Equal tempered Clavier
>>

> There were plenty of tunings in Bach's day. If music over the centuries had
> NOT settled on a standard tuning that essentially displaced the others,
> would modern music have been experimenting with alternative tunings?

I dont understand...

As far as I can see(hear?) today's technology makes possible musical
experiments (including but not limited to tuning) that could not have been
dreamt of 20 years ago -- leave aside Bach