Re: [LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 05 2010 - 15:03:48 EEST

Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 1:59 PM, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden
> <mailto:gnome@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>

> The real interesting measure of perception/influence of music on
> thought might require use of functional MRI scanning, which can show
> the actual electrical activity in the brain.
>
> Yes I forgot to mention brain-wave patterns. Ultimately any such
> 'objective-measure' may miss some more subtle influence. Its just that
> a crude idea may be better than no idea.

Functional MRI is much more than "brain-wave patterns". Functional MRI
shows the actual nerve firings in the brain, flowing from cell to cell
to cell. It provides a very detailed record of brain activity.

The difficulty at this stage of functional MRI development is mapping
what it shows to thoughts, to what it means.

> Coming back to Bach: If he was not interested in tunings he
> would not have written the Well Tempered clavier.
>
> If he was interested in promoting equal temperament he would
> have called it the Equal tempered Clavier
>
> There were plenty of tunings in Bach's day. If music over the
> centuries had NOT settled on a standard tuning that essentially
> displaced the others, would modern music have been experimenting
> with alternative tunings?
>
> I dont understand...
>
> As far as I can see(hear?) today's technology makes possible musical
> experiments (including but not limited to tuning) that could not have
> been dreamt of 20 years ago -- leave aside Bach

Yes, music technology lets us do things that previous musical eras
couldn't even dream about.

What I meant was: if western music had never settled on a standard
tuning, and composers routinely worked with a wide variety of differing
tunings, would there have been as much urge to invent new tunings? I
think part of the urge to devise new tunings arose because using a
tuning other than standard tuning was DIFFERENT.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden