Re: [LAU] New Early Music made with Linux

From: Giso Grimm <gg3137@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 21:40:55 EEST

fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 06:48:02PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
>> impressive. loved the virtual sellotape on the recording room door :)

Sorry, but the door texture (including the poster) was a real photograph
of the real door of the recording room, also the surrounding stones. I
just had to recreate the door latch.

> I loved the sound of the stone moving. How was it made ?

Hah, that was easy: Two brick stones, moving on each other with a bit of
force. The opening stone was original pitch (but with an equalizer,
multiband eq by steve harris, settings 100Hz +5.1dB, 156Hz +15.3dB,
220Hz +17.3dB, 311Hz+7 dB, 3500Hz -12.2dB, 5k -7dB, 10k -14dB...),
followed by GVerb, roomsize 123 m, rev. time 4.2s, dry -17.8dB, early
-18.5dB, tail -10dB (well, I could have decreased the channel gain, but
I ended here). The closing stone was slowed down by a factor of 2 (but
with the same plugins, it was the same track).

>> next time you meet for a recording session, would you mind me
>> crashing the party with an ambisonic mike in the middle?
>
> Again same here :-) If ever you are near to Parma I won't hesitate
> to load my car with some fancy recording gear and have a go at it.

Our original plan was to make the recording in Italy (with nice weather,
having a good wine after work, in a nice church or castello), it was
just because of budget and time limitations that we did it more to the
north. But I am sure we will come to Italy sooner or later, this music
very much belongs to that place...

- Giso