Re: [LAU] Impulse Response Files for Guitareros

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 10 2010 - 19:29:18 EEST

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 22:49:26 +0800
Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 10 September 2010 22:36, Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > As a side note, could someone explain what exactly are IR-files and
> > how software like guitarix and rakarrack use them to emulate
> > amps/cabinets/rooms?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_response
>
> They are basically audio files, or you can call them "reverberation
> samples".
>
> If you record the impulse response of a hall, the resulting audio
> file, when applied programmatically to a signal, will process that
> signal against the "properties" it had recorded.

ok... is it the same for impulse responses of amps/cabinets?

then, if I understand correctly, these files are convoluted with the
signal... this means that the overall effect will be equivalent to a
specific equalization, or to some type of reverb...or both?

the fact is the wiki talks about "convolution reverb", but I used to
think that amp emulation was just a matter of equalization

renato