Re: [LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 11 2010 - 16:58:43 EEST

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, rosea grammostola wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Kjetil S. Matheussen
> <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, rosea grammostola wrote:

>>> Thanks.
>>> I didn't see scientific sources which confirms that the 'PSU on bottom
>>> approach' is better ;)
>>> I was thinking to follow this approach
>>> http://www.silentpcreview.com/article826-page1.html
>>> It just needs one fan...
>>>

>> Bad design. He says himself that:
>>
>> "The dedicated intake duct ensures that the PSU fan never ramps up unless
>> absolutely needed. In actual use, it should just about never ramp up except
>> maybe in very hot weather under long term high load conditions."
>>
>> "Long term high load conditions" is something you probably
>> experience when working with audio. Even just watching a web
>> page with flash cause high long term CPU usage. There's nothing
>> more irritating than fans suddenly ramping up.
>

> Ok, but it would be nice if you could provide some sources which makes
> clear that and why the bottom PSU approach is better.

I'm just talking out of experience. The PSU is usually the noisiest part
in a computer if its heated, and if you put it at the top, especially
right above the CPU, it becomes too warm. I avoided this problem in one
computer I build (an antec SOLO case BTW) by replacing the fan in
the PSU so that it pused air towards the CPU instead of the other way,
but the easiest way to avoid PSU noise is just to put the PSU
at the bottom.