Re: [LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

From: rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 17 2010 - 14:53:20 EEST

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Kjetil S. Matheussen
<k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Kjetil S. Matheussen
>> <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>>> Bad design. He says himself that:
>>>
>>> "The dedicated intake duct ensures that the PSU fan never ramps up unless
>>> absolutely needed. In actual use, it should just about never ramp up
>>> except
>>> maybe in very hot weather under long term high load conditions."
>>>
>>> "Long term high load conditions" is something you probably
>>> experience when working with audio. Even just watching a web
>>> page with flash cause high long term CPU usage. There's nothing
>>> more irritating than fans suddenly ramping up.
>>

>> Ok, but it would be nice if you could provide some sources which makes
>> clear that and why the bottom PSU approach is better.
>>

> I'm just talking out of experience. The PSU is usually the noisiest part
> in a computer if its heated, and if you put it at the top, especially
> right above the CPU, it becomes too warm. I avoided this problem in one
> computer I build (an antec SOLO case BTW) by replacing the fan in
> the PSU so that it pused air towards the CPU instead of the other way,
> but the easiest way to avoid PSU noise is just to put the PSU
> at the bottom.

I think Kjetil is right here for most situations. There is some doubts
whether a top mounted fanless psu is better then bottom.

Anyway, the choice seems to be the p183 vs Factal design R3
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=48

It's hard to judge, not having the cases here, but to me it looks like
the p183 is HUGE... Qua looks and height I prefer the R3, but I'm not
sure the performance will be close to the p183.

\r