Re: [LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

From: Ivan Tarozzi <itarozzi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 11 2010 - 18:55:31 EEST

Il giorno sab, 11/09/2010 alle 15.12 +0200, Kjetil S. Matheussen ha
scritto:
[cut]

> > True, but how do you backup your stuff?
>
> Oh, I don't. :-) When using plain ext2/3/4 file systems you
> receive hints (strange pauses, eventually a random file is
> corrupted) that something is wrong long before everything is lost.
> I've never lost anything important, but have replaced
> my HD many times.

I think you are very lucky :)
Few month ago my mediacenter broke the HD (ext3) and without backups i
lost serveral Gig of data :(

Now I use a RAID1 and it saved me once (because power supply problem in
1 of the disk).
And now is simple tu install a software raid in a Linux box.

Another situation where (incremental) backup is important is when you
make a change of a project and you want to return to previous version.

So I think RAID1 + backup is the best choice :)

Ivan