Re: [LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 11 2010 - 19:12:52 EEST

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Ivan Tarozzi <itarozzi@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Il giorno sab, 11/09/2010 alle 15.12 +0200, Kjetil S. Matheussen ha
> scritto:
> [cut]
>
>> > True, but how do you backup your stuff?
>>
>> Oh, I don't. :-) When using plain ext2/3/4 file systems you
>> receive hints (strange pauses, eventually a random file is
>> corrupted) that something is wrong long before everything is lost.
>> I've never lost anything important, but have replaced
>> my HD many times.
>>

> I think you are very lucky :)
> Few month ago my mediacenter broke the HD (ext3) and without backups i
> lost serveral Gig of data :(
>
> Now I use a RAID1 and it saved me once (because power supply problem in
> 1 of the disk).
> And now is simple tu install a software raid in a Linux box.
>
> Another situation where (incremental) backup is important is when you
> make a change of a project and you want to return to previous version.
>
> So I think RAID1 + backup is the best choice :)
>
> Ivan

+++++ actual physical backups.

No disk system is enough. Not journals on single disks. Not RAID. Not
RAID with journals. Backups are key, and maybe MORE important than
backups is actually testing that restoring from backups actually
works. It's good to keep one junkie old computer around and make sure
that backups can be restored on a machine that's never seen them. In
the last 15 or 20 years I've lost 3 machines to catastrophic failure.
Making sure I had restorable backups was key to the data I saved and
key to the data I lost.

RAID for dummies like me cannot get much easier than mdadm.

- Mark