Re: [LAU] new 64 bit adobe flash player for linux available

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 16 2010 - 02:59:24 EEST

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com> wrote:
> I used to use the 64 bit Adobe flash plugin, but when they yanked
> it, I started using Gnash (version 0.8.8 in Debian Testing).
>
> The Gnash plugin works for Youtube (one of the main valid uses
> for Flash) but doesn't work with Vimeo and a couple of others.

Hmm ... does it work on this:
http://nielsmayer.com/xwiki/bin/view/Timeline/NprTimeline

I think flash's days are numbered. Once HTML5 video usage gets
standardized, and perhaps even before (due to proliferation of
flash-incompatible handhelds/tablets/etc), there will be almost no
reason to be using flash for watching streaming media.

To bridge the gap, there are a variety of "compatibility layers" that
will display in HTML5, if capable, otherwise, dropping back to using
flash, such as:
http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/jw-player/jw-player-for-html5

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com