Re: [LAU] OT music conducive to programming?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 23 2010 - 05:33:10 EEST

On 09/22/10 13:27, James Morris wrote:
> On 22 September 2010 12:13, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> James Morris wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone have any recommendations for music good for getting them into
>>> the frame of mind for programming?
>>>

>> Anything by Iannis Xenakis or Morton Feldman. :)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> dp
>>

> After watching part of the youtube video of Metastasis I am watching this:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hNl_skTZQ&feature=related
> {
> Ligeti - Artikulation
>
> In the 70's, Rainer Wehinger created a visual listening score to
> accompany Gyorgy
> Ligeti's Artikulation. I scanned the pages and synchronized them
> with the music.
> Enjoy!
> }

Call me crazy, but a lot of the software I've coded in the last years
was written with Gyorgy Ligeti in the background. I simply love the
Chamber_concerto_Ramifications_Quartet_no_2_aventures_lux_aeterna "Album".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sWENPaVqR8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnuAaKiX1sg
His "Hungarian rock" however is way too distracting.

Debugging with Tom Waits.
..and if nothing else helps, I turn to Charlie Parker and Coltrane. The
latter are mainly helpful since I tend focus more on the music and not
on the other tasks: Take a step back and many things clear up.

I recently discovered Avishai Cohen - master of all bass syncopes. fi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4kc0Aby2vA is very dreamy and gets me in
the right mood without distracting too much.

At one of my previous work-places we were listening to
http://monkeyradio.org/ (Hi Koen & Arnold) all day long while hacking.

Anyway, none of these are even close to The Prodigy.
If you want to stick to that style: go for Sepultura's Arise:
speed coding.

Cheers!
robin