Re: [LAU] OT music conducive to programming?

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 23 2010 - 04:18:33 EEST

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@gmail.com> wrote:
> PS: re http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr7MTZPs_A&feature=fvw --
> Anybody have the midi for this? It needs a remix.  :-)
> (And given that half the keyboard "solos" from prog-rock (Keith
> Emerson? Rick Wakeman??) seem to have been ripped off from this
> composition anyways, it wouldn't be the first moustache painted on a
> monalisa.)

Well I just listened to the keyboard solo from "Close to the Edge"
around 16:00 in, and perhaps there's a tip of the hat, or maybe that's
just what it sounds like soloing & comping around on an organ or
e-piano. But I can't dig deeper to scratch that "tune on the tip of my
tongue" itch, and I don't have any ELP on MP3 as I find it quite
tedious....

Fortunately this one sounds a lot better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0abSzGuTFH8&feature=related

and this one sounds better and looks better too :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyMSSb_g-Xc&feature=related
(see also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjFN5P0m6UE )

Part of the problem is that the organ being used in the original
example is off in it's wimpy-sounding register until it gets chorded
in the midrange and then it sounds almost proper, though wanting in
bass. Too bad it couldn't be played on the awesome-sounding organ from
Ms. Kateřina Chroboková's performance at the Prague Spring Festival
2010 (surprising to see an organ like that not in a church)... that
first organ, makes you think there's also a trained monkey around
turning the crank and collecting change for a carny performer.

Which is why the MIDI would be nice. Just a little
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karplus-Strong_string_synthesis and some
reverb would sound better than the "Barrel Organ" of the
aforementioned, IMHO.

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com