Re: [LAU] Subject: Albums under a label recorded and/or mixed with Linux

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 17:21:48 EEST

On Tue, September 28, 2010 7:11 am, Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 September 2010 14:51:09 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> have
>> can
>> > My issue is that it has an awfully bloated filter (which is suboptimal
>> > according to fons) taking up a lot of cpu-power, while for me it could
>> > perfectly to with a parametric eq (either three bands + shelve or four
>> > bands).
>> Ok, Thanks for the clarification. I am pretty sure you know already
>> that
>> there are two eq modes in jamin? 30 band multi and 3 band parametric
>> with
>> shelves. However there is not 4 band. It wouldn't be that hard to add
>> though if you are serious about it as the three band code is a good
>> place
>> to start.
>
> If I understood Fons and yourself correctly, the "parametric eq" is just
> another way of modifying the response of the big filter.
>
> My idea is _not_ to *add* a three-band parametric, but to *replace* the
> convolution-based eq with one of the very fine ladspa plugins of
> parametric eq.
> This should lower cpu-usage quite a lot. And if your audio signal needs a
> 31-
> band or a free-hand-drawn equalizer, you are better off with fixing the
> mix or
> using freqtweak, I think.

This would only output a stereo signal and the compressor expects three
stereo signals. So you would have to either seperate the stereo signal
after the eq with a filter or run a copy of the signal to each band of the
compressor which might increase load but will certainly increase the
chance of artifacts on the final post compressor output.

I'm pretty sure that this is the reasoning behind going with the filter
option. The resources are available even on a eeepc as Ken has reported so
it is not really a big deal as jamin is intended for use post pro.

If you want to have it running during production then you should probably
just get a very powerful machine or invest the time to correct the issues
as near as possible to source.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.