Re: [LAU] Subject: Albums under a label recorded and/or mixed with Linux

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 17:11:19 EEST

On Tuesday 28 September 2010 14:51:09 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On Tue, September 28, 2010 5:14 am, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 September 2010 13:15:57 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> >> Just for the sake of clarity, now the problem is that jamin doesn't have
> >> real parametric eq?
> >> Or is the main issue that it uses more resources than necessary and can
> >> be
> >> optimised?
> > My issue is that it has an awfully bloated filter (which is suboptimal
> > according to fons) taking up a lot of cpu-power, while for me it could
> > perfectly to with a parametric eq (either three bands + shelve or four
> > bands).
> Ok, Thanks for the clarification. I am pretty sure you know already that
> there are two eq modes in jamin? 30 band multi and 3 band parametric with
> shelves. However there is not 4 band. It wouldn't be that hard to add
> though if you are serious about it as the three band code is a good place
> to start.

If I understood Fons and yourself correctly, the "parametric eq" is just
another way of modifying the response of the big filter.

My idea is _not_ to *add* a three-band parametric, but to *replace* the
convolution-based eq with one of the very fine ladspa plugins of parametric eq.
This should lower cpu-usage quite a lot. And if your audio signal needs a 31-
band or a free-hand-drawn equalizer, you are better off with fixing the mix or
using freqtweak, I think.

Have fun,

Arnold