Re: [LAU] Subject: Albums under a label recorded and/or mixed with Linux

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 15:51:09 EEST

On Tue, September 28, 2010 5:14 am, Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 September 2010 13:15:57 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> On Mon, September 27, 2010 12:31 pm, Arnold Krille wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> it's
>> The
>> and
>> excuses.
>> >
>> > There is one exception to this rule:
>> >
>> > When you have a stereo feed from the console and a stereo feed from
>> room
>> > mics,
>> > you can't get back to "mixing" to fix the issues that you can easily
>> fix
>> > with
>> > multi-band compression.
>> >

>> > If jamin's eq was replaced with a real parametric eq, that would be
>> cool.
>> > It
>> > would fix a lot of issues raised and lower the cpu-usage. *dreaming*
>>
>> Just for the sake of clarity, now the problem is that jamin doesn't have
>> real parametric eq?
>>
>> Or is the main issue that it uses more resources than necessary and can
>> be
>> optimised?
>
> My issue is that it has an awfully bloated filter (which is suboptimal
> according to fons) taking up a lot of cpu-power, while for me it could
> perfectly to with a parametric eq (either three bands + shelve or four
> bands).

Ok, Thanks for the clarification. I am pretty sure you know already that
there are two eq modes in jamin? 30 band multi and 3 band parametric with
shelves. However there is not 4 band. It wouldn't be that hard to add
though if you are serious about it as the three band code is a good place
to start.

Now I am not sure that the 3 band parametric should be considered a *real*
parametric or not. However I have been told that the implementation of the
linear filter in jamin is fundamentally correct as the FFT/IFFT approach
is the preferred implementation to obtain a more idealized functionality
of those forms of EQ without screwing up the phase.

Fons has cause for suspicion about the current optimisation. It may turn
out that it is possible that we could shave off some cpu cycles. Perhaps
we can get to the bottom of that problem, but as we are using these large
windows to increase the smoothing across the bands(?) it may be that there
is no further optimisations that can be achieved.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.