Re: [LAU] USB soundcard recommendation

From: allcoms <allcoms@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 03 2010 - 21:13:07 EEST

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Sunday 03 October 2010 12:41:30 allcoms wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Seeing as we have the ability, we'd like to record and mix @ 96Khz but
>> my band mates internal laptop sound chipset can't do any better than
>> 48Khz hence he can't use it for mixing and he's looking out for
>> something that'd work well with ALSA thats guaranteed to be able to
>> run JACK (at least for playback) at 24-bit/ 96Khz.
>
> I am not so sure you will get that many recommendations given that you seem to
> need 96kHz.
> The problem is that usb1.1 doesn't have enough bandwidth to do 96kHz, at least
> not when there is two channels each for input and output.
> And usb2 didn't have an audio-standard for a long time, so all devices use
> their own protocol and therefor don't really have a linux-driver.

Yes, I'm aware of all this - except there being a USB2 audio standard
now? We're not really bothered about such a device having any inputs-
just would've been a nice addition.

> If your laptop allows it, I can recommend a firewire-device like the focusrite
> saffire pro24 which would do 4 analog inputs and 6 analog outputs at 44kHz,
> 48kHz and 96kHz. And additionally has spdif io and an adat input. And the
> price is somewhere around 300€.

This device is for a laptop with no firewire or expresscard/PCMCIA
slots. We've got a saffire pro26 but can't afford another nor use it
on the laptop in question.