Re: [LAU] Some new things to play with

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 13 2010 - 19:20:29 EEST

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 07:55:09PM +0400, alex stone wrote:

> > Not being agressive is important. You should be able to look at a
> > screen full of these for hours, without eye strain or getting
> > nervous.
>
> Correct. And as a user, it might be fair to say i spend, and have
> spent, more time looking at apps for prolonged periods than most devs.
> Saturated colours might seem a good idea at the time, but in my humble
> experience, it's a sure fire recipe for headaches, feelings of ill
> intent, bleeding eyes, the urge to decapitate something, monitor
> destruction, etc, when used for any length of time on a regular
> basis.

:-) Also, any attempt to base the colors for a non-trivial audio
app on desktop themes is likely to produce something horrible.
Getting layout and colors right is IMHO part of designing the app,
and after that nothing should interfere with it.

Having the choice between a 'dark' and 'light' version does make
sense. But I find it quite difficult to get any light one right,
and e.g. Ardour's light theme doesn't work at all or me.

What do you (Alex) prefer ?

Ciao,

--
FA