Re: [LAU] OT: C or C++?

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Thu Oct 14 2010 - 12:23:41 EEST

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com> wrote:
> I've been using C++ for nearly 20 years (including the last 8+
> years professionally) and I am nowhere near mastering it. In
> fact, when you add in commonly used things like STL and Boost,
> I find the language is growing faster than I'm learning it.

Same here -- and it's not just that it grows, but that "common
practice" both varies amongst programmers and evolves over time. C++
is an awfully deep language.

Also, I'm increasingly unconvinced that it's wise for someone who
intends to end up writing idiomatic C++ to be too comfortable in C
first -- if you're going to learn C thoroughly, aim to come out the
other end as a C programmer -- but that's probably a point one could
argue either way on (including about whether an "idiomatic C++"
programmer is a good thing to be in the first place).

I have a suspicion that the language with the currently greatest
intersection of "widely used" and "satisfying to develop" may be C#,
but that perhaps isn't a very practical choice in this particular
field.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 2:30 AM, James Morris <jwm.art.net@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> If you want some fun you could try http://processingjs.org - the
> processing language implemented in javascript.

Not a bad idea. Javascript is a better language than its early uses
(for gross hacks in web pages) might have suggested.

Chris