Re: [LAU] OT: C or C++?

From: Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 15 2010 - 00:05:11 EEST

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM, R. Mattes wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 16:22:52 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote
>>
>> I always wondered about this question too. I guess it is because it
>> gives the flavor of C++ to the lazy programmer who doesn't want to
>> learn a totally new syntax.
>
> Culture - lot's of (good) frameworks for enterprise computing with good
> documentation. Engineering
> aproach to programming, thousands of reasons _not_ relevant outside the
> business/enterprise world.
> But that's where most of programmings lives. So, iff you educate for this
> market, you better do it
> in Java. I _never_ encountered a company doing in-house development in C++.

Pretty much all the big finance companies in Wall Street (i.e. the
corporates that rule the world) develop in C++. Just to name a few, JP
Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Knight, Credit Suisse. They need speed for
transaction as they play their games in microseconds. Also many hedge
funds do.

>> Also Java code is slightly more portable
>> than C/C++.
>
> I's not the code that's portable, it's the binaries. Try to use a library
> _compiled_ with C++ compiler A
> with a program compiled with compiler B on the same box! You can sell Java
> class files and run them on
> anything from Windows, Mac, Linux to TueUinx, Solaris (rip) and AS400 mainframes.

No need to play word games. I mean in C/C++ you need to use #ifdef
__WIN32__ (or whatever) if you want your program to be portable. That
is what I mean by portable code. In contrast, Java world doesn't only
consist of classes and .jar files. Many operations (especially low
level ones, or those that need speed) are implemented in JNI, which
renders Java still C/C++ dependant, hence not easily portable.

Orcan