Re: [LAU] OT: C or C++?

From: R. Mattes <rm@email-addr-hidden-freiburg.de>
Date: Fri Oct 15 2010 - 00:19:12 EEST

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 17:05:11 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote

> Pretty much all the big finance companies in Wall Street (i.e. the
> corporates that rule the world) develop in C++. Just to name a few,
> JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Knight, Credit Suisse. They need speed
> for transaction as they play their games in microseconds. Also many hedge
> funds do.

Or the do it in hardware - no kiddin', I've seen trading boxes done in
FPGA, not even an operating system, the TCP/IP stack was done in
hardware - pretty cool! But let's not forget that these systems
aren't typical - I'm pretty shure even within Credit Suisse et al. have
substantial pools of java code :-)

> >> Also Java code is slightly more portable
> >> than C/C++.
> >
> > I's not the code that's portable, it's the binaries. Try to use a library
> > _compiled_ with C++ compiler A
> > with a program compiled with compiler B on the same box! You can sell Java
> > class files and run them on
> > anything from Windows, Mac, Linux to TueUinx, Solaris (rip) and AS400
mainframes.

> No need to play word games. I mean in C/C++ you need to use #ifdef
> __WIN32__ (or whatever) if you want your program to be portable. That
> is what I mean by portable code. In contrast, Java world doesn't only
> consist of classes and .jar files. Many operations (especially low
> level ones, or those that need speed) are implemented in JNI, which
> renders Java still C/C++ dependant, hence not easily portable.

Argh, conflicting information: what point do you want to make? Is
java more portable or not?
C++: In a world of bought components recompilation is not happening.
Java & JNI: the places I've been so far all had very strict rules of
_not_ using JNI because of it's unportability.
BTW, what _many operations_ in Java are implemented in JNI? Are you maybe
mixing up Java (the language) and the Java virtual machine?

 RalfD