Re: [LAU] vmx1000usb mixer linux usb support

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 18 2010 - 02:25:45 EEST

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Raffaele Recalcati
<lamiaposta71@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/VMX1000USB.aspx

Do you really need all the extra "DJ" stuff on the mixer such as
beatcounter etc when (should you want to dj) http://www.mixxx.org/
does a great job in software, sending mixed sound straight into a
high-quality soundcard, along with a separate channel for headphone
monitoring. Depending on the mixer, you may find the BPM counters, EQ
of a DJ mixer is suitable for the noise-floor of a club -- which isn't
much given how loud the music is. It's very possible you'll be able to
hear the beat counters and all the digital crap through the genelecs
during quiet passages of 24 bit material.

If you're hooking up something as nice as genelecs, you might want
something with better fidelity.
The above mixer has Balanced S/N 80dB... crosstalk 70dB... typical DJ
mixer fare.Chances are, it's more or less the same Behringer USB
interface (like on my BCD3000) which works fine for hooking up to a
club system and blasting out distortion at eyeball-shaking volume...
but is certainly not appropriate level of interface compared to a
genelec (my behringer has terrible analog input sound/specs -- I use
it as a very versatile control surface, and use it for playback of
web-audio.).

What about just getting an M-Audio Delta 1010 (used even), run
http://mudita24.googlecode.com
and skip the physical mixer... for laptop i'd skip USB and find a
compatible firewire device. It's too bad there's no linux support for
http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx820i/ because that series (
http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1640i/ ) appears to be a proper
integration of a high-quality mixer with a firewire interface.

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com