Re: [LAU] Arranging furniture in a room

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 15:35:32 EEST

Hi,

On Tuesday 19 October 2010 13:28:10 Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> i usually try to avoid extreme rear reflections if i can, but i must
> confess i don't really know why, and fons' suggestion to move to a rear
> wall got me thinking...
>
> and of course it pays to think about early reflections that are so close
> to the direct sound that they will incur audible coloration.

As far as I understand it, if you plan to use drc to do additional correction
via software, it is better to focus on correcting the long reflections in real
world and tackle the early reflections in software. The short reflections are
easier to correct with shorter correcting impulses for convolution.
I think this could also apply to short reflections after the signal from the
wall directly behind you...

If you have the space, placing the desk in the middle of the room could be
worth a shot. I would definitely try to get the bed (or a sofa) in a place
directly behind the working position. That way you (and fellow musicians) can
enjoy the temporary and final mixes in a more convenient position.

As light from the window disturbing your screen or view isn't really an issue
for you, you could also think about placing your desk in front of the window.
The early reflections will be harsh, but it should be easy to suppress them by
drc or with some foam placed on the direct reflecting parts of the window (have
someone paint Tux on the back of them so passers-by have a nice pic to see:)
But when the sunlight hits your window, you will feel it. Should result in
more sunny music from you;-)

Place lots of book of different sizes on your shelves, grab some stuffed toys
from your girlfriend and leave your clothes hanging everywhere to suppress
reflections. Looks and feels untidy but its for a good cause! :-D

Have fun,

Arnold