Re: [LAU] JACK message: ports used in attemped connection are not of the same data type

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 24 2010 - 19:37:33 EEST

Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 10/23/2010 07:51 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Jeremy Jongepier
>> <jeremy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Anybody any clue what the following JACK message means?
>>>
>>> "ports used in attemped connection are not of the same data type"
>>
>> since JACK has only 2 data types at present, it implies that you were
>> trying to connect audio& MIDI ports.
>
> Hello Paul,
>
> That is the point, I wasn't doing that deliberately. This message
> appears with practically every audio connection I try to make. And I'm
> using QjackCtl which doesn't allow for making that kind of connections
> afaik.
> But at least I know what it means, thanks (pretty straighttforward
> though, should've figured it out myself). And indeed, easy to reproduce
> on the command line:
>
> jack_connect system:capture_1 yoshimi:midi\ in
>
> Results in a "ports used in attemped connection are not of the same data
> type" message (with a little typo). Now my question remains why it appears.

I have 2 USB audio devices - one a USB sound card, the other a MIDI
connection. Sometimes JACKDMP 1.9.2 insists on trying to use the MIDI
device as an audio OUT port.

I don't know why. Usually goes away if I leave the MIDI connection
unplugged when I start the computer up, or simply tell QJackCtl to use
the appropriate hardware-numbered port. But it could be related to the
fact that sometimes the built-in Intel audio chip appears, and sometimes
it doesn't!

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden