Re: [LAU] Write down music for practicing?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 26 2010 - 21:09:28 EEST

On 10/26/10 19:53, Niels Mayer wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Michal Seta <mis@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> There is also OOOLilyPond, a Lilypond macro for OpenOffice.
>
> This sounds like it could be used for "collaborative composition"
> along with the openoffice importer feature of XWiki platform:
> http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Applications/OfficeImporterApplication
>
> In that you could upload any kind of document that can be read by
> openoffice to a website running http://xwiki.org platform and they'd
> automatically get converted to web documents that can be wiki-edited
> as regular documents. Although since it's an "import" it's a one-way
> operation. And I'm not sure how the music fonts would end up getting
> handled in the browser (or if music would end up rendered as images
> included in the web document).
>
> It's certainly worth a try for those wanting to do this kind of thing
> on the web. I always thought there ought to be a "wiki" for writing
> music collaboratively.

Why jump through all these hoops?

granted, ABC-midi is not as complex and its rendering is not as nice as
lilypond generated sheets - but for collaborative composition it's quite
sufficient and the ABC text-format is perfect for a wiki.

Besides, there are already existing wiki-plugins for it.
example: http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/abcmiditutorial
and you can toy around: http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/abc

Once you're done, you could download the ABC midi notation, run it
through 'abc2ly' and fine-tune it in lilypond if that's needed.

Midi-playback works from most browsers; timidity can also open URLs.
Sound-fonts are of course an issue and will need to be pre-shared.

2c,
robin