Re: [LAU] Polyphonic pitch detection

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 30 2010 - 14:42:34 EEST

On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 12:25 +0100, Jonathan Gazeley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a tool that can analyse an MP3 file, and write out a
> polyphonic MIDI file - basically so I can have the sheet music. Can
> anyone name one?
>
> Although this is a Linux list, I don't care what platform the tool runs
> on, since I will only use it once and then go away happy with my MIDI
> file :)

On Windows, it looks like the "Editor" edition of Celemony Melodyne
might help with this -- it's a pitch-correction program that has
polyphonic pitch editing features (pretty mind-blowing tech, really!),
and as part of that, it can produce polyphonic MIDI exports of audio
parts. It's still designed more for individual parts, though, rather
than complete tracks, so YMMV. It's also not cheap, but there's a free
demo.

Thanks
Leigh