Re: [LAU] The democratization on music might not always be a good thing...

From: micromoog <micromoog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 04 2010 - 19:14:44 EET

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM, <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> What we see today is a lot of people 1) unable to play any instrument
> or sing and 2) unable to create any music except by trial and error
> aided by technology. Yet they'd call themselves a musician. By that
> measure, they could call themselves painters,  sculptors, writers,
> dancers, and whatever they want.

They certainly could, and rightfully so! Art is not in technical
skill, it's in conception and execution. I would have absolutely no
disdain for a composer who did all their composition by humming into a
4-track, then hired a transcriptionist to put it on paper, then hired
musicians to record it.

In fact, this is not far from the method used by Irving Berlin, one of
the most celebrated American songwriters in history. He never learned
to read or write music, and never learned the piano properly -- in
fact he did most of his writing in F# so he could stay primarily on
the black keys! He hired arrangers to turn his tunes into real
compositions, and hired musicians to play everything.

I think your complaint is not about technology, it's about laziness.
No technology will turn a lazy person into a composer, but it can
allow a good composer to spend their energy composing instead of
learning something tangential. Berlin spent his early years writing
songs for many hours every day -- songs that may never have existed
had he spent those hours learning to sight-read for piano instead!

micromoog