Re: [LAU] The democratization on music might not always be a good thing...

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 04 2010 - 19:26:07 EET

On Thursday 04 November 2010 12:24:32 you wrote:
> true, but also a bit of jealousy, no? Why should someone with no
> musical skills other than the ability to operate computer software be
> able to travel the same path as a someone trained for decades?

Perhaps because there are musical skills / abilities / talent and instrumental
skills / abilities / talent and you can have the former without the latter?

(Since I sing so poorly, I often wonder why some should be born with the
voices they were while I got what I got. That's life right?)

If not, then there are no worries as no one without the latter will ever be
able to make any decent music.

As a little thought experiment, suppose one day we fins a way to hook up
monitors to our brain so that the music we think gets played on an instrument
so that we don't have to go through the mechanical process of learning to
play the instrument... Then...

Ultimately whatever process someone uses to create a piece of music, we have a
few things to deal with.

Is it an enjoyable / worthwhile piece of music?

Was it created completely randomly and automatically and the first iteration
was accepted with no critical decision at all or was judgement brought to the
process and "bad" options eliminated or was the inputs controlled in some way
to achieve a musical idea?

> but I digress...
>
> David

all the best,