[LAU] Life in the old beast yet! A session report

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 08 2010 - 18:03:45 EET

My studio machine has been around for a while - it's a 3GHz P4 (with
hyperthreading! Ohhh, 2 cores!) and 1GB RAM. I have 2 M-Audio 1010s
for 16 channels of I/O. Over the past week, I modified the machine to
use a 500GB Seagate Constellation SATA hard drive as the primary OS and
archive drive, and an 80GB Intel X25-M SSD to record to. I also installed
Fedora 12/CCRMA so there was the question of how performant that would be.

On top of everything, it was the first session in my new studio space,
having moved at the end of last year and needing some time to get the
space into shape. This was just an overdub session, but the system
performed very well - not a single xrun all evening - and the new space
was comfortable and worked really well.