[LAU] Balance between performance and noise

From: rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 27 2010 - 12:24:01 EET

Hi,

When I set cpu scaling with sudo cpufreq-set -g performance, I have the
best proaudio performance on my thinkpad T61. But, that will also heat
things up very quickly with as consequence more sound from the fans.

The laptop is more silent when I use, sudo cpufreq-set -g ondemand, but
I get more xruns then.

Is it possible to adjust the ondemand settings to find more balance
between performance and noise? How?

Btw., I use thinkfan to control the temperature and fan speed
http://thinkfan.sourceforge.net/

My /etc/thinkfan.conf settings are:

sensor /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal (2, 7, 8, 0, 0, 0, 7, 0, 12, 5, 5)

  (0, 0, 54)
  (1, 50, 57)
  (2, 52, 59)
  (3, 54, 63)