Re: [LAU] controllerism on linux

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 30 2010 - 13:12:08 EET

Am 30.11.2010 09:37, schrieb Rui Nuno Capela:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 00:08:58 +0100, Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>> I was thinking about it today and I reckon that number 1 is non-trivial
>> and currently missing in linux audio - and maybe the only thing that
>> really misses from having something like ableton?
>>
>> It would indeed be great to have this (number 1) in, for example,
>> Ardour and Qtractor
>>

> i have this feeling that mixxx candidates for the run of all 3 :)

Candidate -- maybe but far from being ready for its exams. In a first
try it did not find the BPM of 3 simple drumloops (4/4 120) in a row and
crashed loading a WAV-file that never gave me any headaches before.

Unfortunately all attempts here to do anything near the tricks shown in
the video ended similar:

- sooperlooper came near regarding working with sampled loops but too
much must be done by hand and it did not work stable and it did not
cooperate well with my MIDI-Controller(Behringer-U-control-keyboard,
works perfectly well with Ardour,Guitarix, AMS and others). It allowed
the controller-knobs to set stretching to absurd low values causing
hundreds of xruns. It also crashed seldom but erratically thus I never
ever would use it live.

- qtractor is not made for tricks like these but maybe one could use it
to trigger Samples that are played on individual tracks in a loop. It
even adapts samples if the BPM changes and has lots of other cool
features like MIDI-tracks, plugins and a real mixer.
One could let the loop run and trigger the idividual samples using
mute/solo and do a lot of impressive stuff remote-controlling
plugin-parameters.
This did not work out so well for me since I failed to make qtractor
work with my controller as intended. It appeared quite enigmatic to me
how one would map a Key to mute/solo on an individual mixer-track. But
basically it seem to work so there is hope to see MIDI-learn as known
from Ardour in it...

- Ardour3 would be my best bet to come near but of course is also not
build for the stuff that ALive is optimized to do. I see if find the
time to give LMMS a try too...

Building something modular based on seq24 could be worth the try
also(did a gig with it some 2 years ago but in a set with a drummer and
playing guitar live so seq24 only had to trigger some samples in
specimen and a pianosound in ams - by far not as complex as seen in the
video)

My conclusion: as of now I would not know, how to do the tricks seen in
the video under linux...

best regs
HZN/Berlin