Re: [LAU] EQ plug and 4-pin 1394

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 30 2010 - 20:12:58 EET

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Kim Cascone <kim@anechoicmedia.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
>> The biggest issue with 1394 on Linux is the 1394 controller in the PC.
>> You might look around for evidence that your specific hardware (the
>> chip inside - not the laptop) is well supported. (I.e - TI is, others
>> vary) Stefan Richter in the 1394 user list is a great resource. lspci
>> is your friend.
>>

> yeah I did a lspci and found:
>
> 09:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev
> 05)
>
> -- also --
>
> sudo lshw | grep 1394
>               product: R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
>               configuration: driver=ohci1394 latency=32 maxlatency=4
> mingnt=2 module=ohci1394

OK, as it's Ricoh which is a brand known to have a few problems over
the years I would consider doing a little Googling or better yet
subscribe to the Linux 1394-user group and ask on there about any
specific things you should need to know.

Note that there are now two 1394 stacks in the kernel. (Have been for
a while...) Depending on which one you choose you use different
drivers and get slightly different results. I only mention this
because in distro kernels they choose different ones and this may be
an issue for you. I strongly suggest building your own kernels if
you're going to use 1394 as then you'll be able to take full advantage
of info you get from other users about setup.

Of course, maybe it will just work and there won't be any issues at all! ;-)

Cheers,
Mark