Re: [LAU] Scalpel Audio Editor 0.8.0

From: Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 04 2010 - 18:17:05 EET

Hi Pierre!

Here is my comments so far:

lördag 04 december 2010 14.05.24 skrev Pierre:
> Scalpel is an audio editor for Linux written in Python. It aims at
> providing a simple-to-use and easy-to-extend audio editor. Sound
> hackers, get started translating your Matlab routines into Python/Numpy
> functions!

A wondeful, little and very useful little app. This simple kind of app is
something I reaaly miss. But it's one or two things that must be fixed in
order to reach a "professional" level, please read on.

> Scalpel uses PyGTK for the user interface, Numpy for the internal
> processing, ALSA for the audio playing and libsndfile for reading and
> writing files. A minimal part of the code is written in Cython for
> better performance.

Why bother the users with that kind of info? This kind of info is probably one
of the top 5 reasons that keeps Windows- and Mac users from trying Linux apps
IMHO. :-)

> Scalpel still has some rough edges but is quite usable. Try it now
> and be sure to send your feedback.

Yes, you are thinking right and your few but carefully and wisely selected
functions makes this app a potential winner. But it is one thing that make
impossible for me to use it:

It saves the wave file in 16 bit 44100hz sample rate. It should at least keep
the file's current format and at least be able to save 24 bit files. For me,
this is the most serious point. It's important to have control over the saved
formats. You will come far with support for 44100, 48000 and 96000 sample
rates in 16, 24 and 32 bit.

One more serious (probably) thing for people that work with samples: The
filter section have a 0 to 3 scale for Damping in stead of a DB scale.

And finally a suggestion that will make Scalpel even more effective: Make the
key combination SHIFT+END mark the sound from the position point to the end of
the sound. Using the mouse for doing this is just to time consuming when
working with many samples. The same applies for SHIFT+HOME.

I think your app is something very useful and I will certainly use it if the
bit and sample rates comes up to a professional level.

Thanks for making Scalpel. It's a brilliant an genius idea.

Jostein